Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I thought the Great Barrier Reef was a big wall of alcopops? Maybe I got the wrong idea!

Amazing- that pretty much sums up today in a nutshell! Had an early start yesterday morning to get to the “Spirit of 1770”. We were warned when we got on board that the sea was likely to be rocky, but I don't think any of the 50 or so people on board anticipated exactly how rocky! I'm pretty good with motion sickness (the only thing that really throws me are the “Waltzers” in fairgrounds), however I do have an issue with other people's sick. Within half an hour of setting off there were 5 people clutching desperately at half full sick bags around me, and within an hour there were 10. All the time crew were collecting full bags and re-issuing empty ones, and the smell of vomit was permeating my sinuses. I managed to keep my own breakfast down and within 2 hours we were at the pontoon near the island. We were split into groups for activities, and being in the first group to visit the island, we had a chance to grab a quick cup of tea and then were allowed onto a small boat that took us to Lady Musgrave Island itself. The tour of the island was about 40 minutes and it was explained how historically the island was popular for “guano mining” - this is the collection of bird droppings which make rich fertiliser. The island absolutely hummed with the smell of the guano itself and I had to wonder whether it might be worthwhile rejuvinating the old industry just to make the place smell better. Flocks of birds nested in the trees overhead and were remarkably unintimidated by us walking round the island. The beach itself was covered in coral, but we were told not to collect any or risk facing a hefty fine.

When we got back to the platoon a buffet lunch was served, and then the main order of the day – snorkeling amongst the Coral. I bought an underwater camera which I'll have to take home before I get it processed, and I really hope worked ok, as the closest thing I can relate the experience to was swimming in a giant tropical fish tank. The variety of fish and coral was breathtaking – I even saw a stingray drifting along close to the bottom. Yesterday really was an unforgettable experience. I didn't think i'd be as affected by it as I was but feeling fish brushing up against your skin while you swim among them is incredible.

Got back to 1770 about half past 5 exhausted – a really worthwhile day though. This morning got up and cycled into Agnes Water to get some milk and cigs. Who says smoking's bad for you? The mission that I have to go on to fill my lungs with tar is the most energetic I've been in years. Bought another couple of books today as well. I seem to be churning through books like nothing else at the moment. Long quiet evenings sat outside have meant that I've had plentiful opportunity to rejuvinate a few old pleasures; reading and playing guitar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home