Friday, December 15, 2006

The Rain

I can't believe I've been here for 16 days so far. Went out for another long walk in the early hours of this morning in the rain. Its been pretty much solid now for the last couple of days but I'm not complaining....it's warm rain, and I love wet weather even in the UK (probably just as well really!)

On my walk this morning I was reminded of a Robert Frost poem; Acquainted with the Night.

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain—and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-by;
And further still at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.


There is a kind of timeless feel in Hong Kong in the small hours. People still mill around as though it were the middle of the day. Casual glances of subtle suspicion are thrown my way, but I suspect thats largely due to my state of dress combined with the weather. The people here are wrapped up in scarves and wooly hats, while I meander around in a T-shirt and khaki's. And why not? I've worn less in the cooler summers in the UK.

Not long now til I fly to Australia. Flying in to Sydney as I couldn't get a flight into Brisbane at the right price/time. Booked into a hotel for a couple of nights there and going to get an internal flight up to Bundaberg on the 20th.

The only peril of the downturn in weather is the seriously low cloud cover, damning my efforts to get any final good photos before I leave. There'll be other times though. Hong Kong has a definite pull about it. I know i'll be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home