Friday, December 15, 2006

Bonsaiiiiiii ! Ching Chung Koon pt.2

Decided today to embark on another quest to find the Ching Chung Koon, as the previous one had failed so miserably. Armed with the name of the place in chinese, I set out again to Kwai Fong, took the number 58M bus to the Catholic Secondary School, glanced across the road and saw a dragon! As i crossed over the road the dragon became apparent as decoration on the top of a temple! I must have walked past the Koon 20 times on my search the other week, and today it was right in front of me.

I apprehensively went in to the grounds, walking throught the bonsai gardens, not seeing anyone to stop me or tell me that this was private property or otherwise. I pass
ed by the Retirement home, with old people looking at me as though they were unsure as to what I was doing there and I started to wonder if I was in the right place, knowing that the Ching Chung Koon support all sorts of local enterprise. It was only when I stopped to look at one of the buildings that a man who had been watering plants stopped to talk to me. I asked if I was ok being here and he just said - "oh yes, it's all free here, look around". I relaxed a little after that and took some photos while walking around the beautiful grounds, although not wanting to disturb those in meditation I didn't take any photos inside the temple itself.

The bonsai trees were stunning, and impossible to gauge their age - apparently they were moved here when the temple opened in 1949. The temple itself itself was like stepping back into ancient China, with pagodas, amazing paintings and water features throughout the grounds and buildings.





As I went to leave, another gentleman approached me and handed me a calendar. This hospitality
combined with the work that visibly goes on within the temple are a stark contrast between the Taoist and Buddhist doctrines that I have witnessed in Hong Kong. While the Buddhist monks themselves appear to focus entirely on their meditations and richly lavish decoration within their Temples, the Taoist monks seem to prefer to focus their energy on ensuring wellbeing in the community - the free clinics, home for the elderly and memorial shrines that are all within the Ching Chung Koon grounds are fine examples of the work done. The monks themselves and the foundation rely on donations from the community, but work entirely towards the wellbeing of that community. Providing a beautiful garden in the midst of Tuen Mun, a bustling town is an example of that work, and while the monks still maintain the Temple itself, and it is beautifully decorated, the shrines that are focused on during worship are a far cry from the lavish gold and bronze Buddhist statues. Funds here are diverted to where they are needed, and the monks follow the teachings of the Tao in their compassion and care for those who need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home