Friday, January 05, 2007

The Tree

Another interesting day yesterday. I'd agreed to help move Rogers new fridge into the house when it was delivered. All in all a true "chuckle brothers" style affair as the steps up to the house are definitely not condusive to large stainless steel objects being carried up them. Between the 3 of us moving it in 35 degree heat i think we perspired more than the annual rainfall in this part of the world, so a beer was much needed on completion of the task! Coincidentally, the pub at the end of the road has now re-opened, and what better way to further dehydrate oneself than a barrel-load of alcohol :-)

The Tree is possibly the most unique pub I've come across. It consists of a window leading out to a patio area. There's no indoor seating at all, and the toilets are the public convenience across the road. The clientelle are the most interesting of all though. Because of the layout of the place there's no "grouping off" of people meaning it's really easy to find yourself in conversation with people.....a great thing when you're a "bloody foreigner" who doesn't know anyone. My fellow fridge mover Mal was there though and he got the ball rolling with introductions to a couple of seafarer types called Tiger and Gill. Gill looks like a cross between Santa Claus and Uncle Albert, and is a talkative old fellow, whereas Tiger is less talkative and a lot thinner and missing all his teeth. Between the pair of them though I heard some stories of a similar caliber to those I remember hearing working with Kates family at the Mission to Seafarers bar in Tilbury docks. The yarns got longer and the tall stories got taller, and various backpackers and tourists came and went. I met a multitude of people and it was great to just have a laugh and a joke with everyone! Quite a few Jim Beam and Cokes (of the canned variety??!) were sunk and a really good night was had.

I got back quite late and literally passed straight out after skilful avoidance of the "new" spider in the house. I've been trying to identify it this morning looking at the list of indiginous spiders in Queensland (it's become a bit of a hobby - not least because if one of the little critters bites me I wan't to know whether something's going to drop off!) No idea what it is and can't find a picture of one anywhere so i think its firmly on the list of wildlife I'll give a wide berth to!


Just found a photo I took last night of the sun setting when i was on my way back to the pub. As usual it was absolutely breathtaking - but for a change I had actually remembered to take my camera :-)



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Tree sounds like a really cool pub mate, maybe one day I'll get the chance to visit, sounds like the sort of place that i'd like!! We're all missing you, but really glad your having a good time. I think your journey has been good for me too, cos since reading your blog, i've started taking more notice of the things around me. Just slowing down every now and then, and taking in what's really going on is the way forward. The night sky has never looked so good.

P.S I'm with edd, bring me a koala back too, but no spiders!!

1:50 am  
Blogger Roachy said...

Glad you're taking it easy too mate. You would seriously love it here, and lets face it, I could probably use your spider despatching experise ;-)

Do you have any idea how many koala's i've been asked to bring back. Maybe i could set up a koala export business....hmmmm!

10:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just bring back a couple and set your self up as a professional koala breeder. You could always just get one to grab on to your back and pretend its a bag.

7:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home